Holladay’s Historical Walking Tour Marks 20 Years
Jun 08, 2016 11:24AM, Published by Carol Hendrycks, Categories: News
By Carol Hendrycks | firstname.lastname@example.org
Holladay - The “historical walk” was proposed to the Holladay-Cottonwood Community Council by Jay Todd, who then chaired the project. Bill and Pat Child provided marker financing, with Kenneth and Athelia Woolley providing supporting funds. Hank and Julie Brock helped to create the historical booklet. The idea was funded by a grant from Salt Lake City and through financial support from the Utah Centennial Commission, all of which was coordinated by the Holladay-Cottonwood Community Council.
The markers were installed June 22, 1996, and a week later, June 29, a big community celebration and fair was held at Olympus Junior High grounds with “train-looking” tour buses taking residents on a drive-by to all markers. Rocky Mountain Power provided the installation for community service, by a dozen local Boy Scout groups and other organizations.
This June marks 20 years since the installation of Holladay’s 1.9-mile historical walking tour with over a dozen markers highlighting the first-50-year history of Holladay. The unique markers, patterned after early Roman milestone markers, are eight inches wide, five feet tall, forming a cement shaft with a metal plate attached to text noting important historical locations. Sites include 1847 dugouts on Spring Creek, 1848 homesteads, first cemetery outside of Salt Lake City, first church and school, expansion of 1849, the Lower Canal, 1853 fort, the tithing yard, Brinton’s Blacksmith Shop, Ann Brooks Andrus and her piano, Neilson’s corner and first general store.
In addition, a map marker at both ends of the tour notes the location of all other markers. The west-end map marker is on the lawn between Einstein Bagels and Starbucks Coffee on Highland Drive, north of the corner of Murray-Holladay Road. The east-end marker is on the east side of the street across from Stoel & Rives Law Offices at 4766 Holladay Boulevard.
For more information, booklets with text of the markers and a short historical account of the first five years of Holladay are available at Holladay City Hall.